Sunday, 16 May 2010

Lucy Locket lost her pocket...

...but hopefully I won't be losing mine! I've just made one (of two) C18th pockets, huzzah!

I made the pattern after looking at extant pockets and reproduction pockets - they were very large! The size of my pattern was the same height as a sheet of A4 paper, but slightly wider with the pocket opening being half the length, as you should be able to see in the picture below:

I then cut this pattern out on white cotton and some brocade silk adding a small seam allowance according to the width of my binding I was to use and cutting the pocket slit in the silk only.

After this, I then pinned and sewed the binding (just a quick note: the binding and thread was bought online and I was amazed to find that the brocade pattern, binding and thread all matched exactly!) around the opening of the pocket. I sewed it to the front first before sewing it to the back.

I then pinned some binding to the outer edge of both the silk and cotton together (and in my case, pattern side up) and, as before, sewn front first. I used a back stitch when sewing the front as this will form the seam of the pocket. I used a whip stitch (?) for the back.

Hey presto! It's done! All I have to do now is make the other in exactly the same way! After that then I will wait until my stays are made before attaching a long piece of binding to the top as both pockets were tied around the waist on one piece of ribbon/tape.


  1. It's beautiful. I made one by tracing off a kit pattern but when finished, it was pretty small, and I can barely get my hand through the slit, let along with things in my hand. So apparently, unbeknownst to me at the time, this wasn't a full sized one.
    I also made mine with a printed paisly pattern similar to your fabric. I have dreams of embroidering one someday.

  2. Thankyou! Hopefully they will be big enough - a pocketbook in one and perhaps a tissue or two in the other.

    I plan to embroider some pockets in the future too!